Smoked salmon with avocado frittata
- By Paul Rankin
Smoked salmon and eggs has always been one of my favourite combinations.
Here is a classic given a modern twist with influences from Italy and Mexico.
With thanks to my old friend Robbie Millar for this frittata recipe.
For the avocado vinaigrette:
• 2 avocadoes
• 1 tbsp onion, finely chopped (from above quantity)
• 4 tbsp lime juice, (or lemon)
• 2 tbsp lime juice (from above quantity)
• 2 tbsp butter
• ½ avocado (from above quantity)
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander, optional
• 4 eggs
• 60ml/2floz light olive oil
• 4 tbsp snipped chives
• 90ml/3floz water
• 1 tomato, peeled, seeded, and diced
• Few drops tabasco, chilli powder, or fresh chilli
• 1 packet smoked salmon, about 225g
• Salt and pepper
• Few sprigs of fresh coriander to garnish
• Few long chives to garnish
• Chilli oil, optional
1. Peel and dice 1½ avocado and toss in 2 tbsp lime juice. 2. Heat the butter in small non stick fry
pan, (6 - 8 inch in diameter) and gently fry most of the onion, for 3 minutes. 3. Remove about
1 tbsp of the cooked onion, and set to the side for the vinaigrette. 4. Whisk the eggs with a good pinch
of salt and some pepper, and add to the pan. 5. Cook the eggs quite slowly, stirring often until you
have curds. 6. Add the avocado and 2 tbsp of the chives, stir them through, and then gently pat into
a flat shape. 7. Cover the pan, turn the heat down, and cook for 3 - 4 minutes until the egg is firmly
set. Reserve to one side. To make the vinaigrette, place the remaining onion, avocado, and other
ingredients in a blender, and pulse to a smooth puree. Alternatively, mash together and
push through a fine sieve with the back of a spoon. Taste for seasoning.
To serve, turn the frittata on to a clean board, and cut into 8 wedges. Place
2 wedges on each plate. Arrange a tumble of smoked salmon beside or on
top of each frittata. Spoon the vinaigrette around. Garnish with the remaining
garnishes, tomato, coriander, remaining chives, and chilli oil. This dish can be
served hot or cold.